Hot Georgia Summer Takes a Toll on my Garden

For the last several weeks, temperatures have reached 98 or above each afternoon, and with, most of the time, not a cloud in the sky! This climate can sure take a toll on garden plants--even those famous for loving hot, dry sun. In the last week I've noticed that even the butterfly bushes and lantana have wilted in the afternoon heat. That observation prompted me to get my ice water and take a walk through the garden looking for the tough guys. I thought I'd share with you my findings.

Plants not wilted in my garden today:
  • Arizona Cypress
  • Bamboo (where did that come from?!)
  • Cactus (if that ever wilts, I'll quit gardening!)
  • Eucalyptus
  • Holly
  • Hosta
  • Loropetalum
  • Mahonia
  • Redbud
  • Rosemary
  • Spirea
  • Yucca (lol, you know that will never wilt!)

The plants mentioned above are in parts of the garden not irrigated. The only water they receive is what falls from heaven. As a native plant pusher, I was appalled to see that most of the non-wilted varieties are from foreign lands! It pains me to say that, but I will ponder on it, figuring that perhaps I need to do some research. This part of the country has been prone to heat and drought way longer than I've been gardening. Native plants have learned to deal with this weather much better than I have. So I'll be stepping out in the heat to tour some local gardens I know to be native plant sanctuaries. I'll have my notepad in hand, and I'll let you know what I find.

No comments:

June Blooms in my Georgia Garden: Oakleaf Hydrangea

This time of year our garden is always bursting with blooms, but this year has been a little different. Due to a very mild winter, everythin...