Hot Georgia Summer in my Garden Part 2: Some Plants Look Great!

Recently I complained of plants wilting in this hot Georgia summer with no rain. I promised to let you know when I find some native plants who have held up to this heat with no wilting so far. We have still received no rain, and there isn't really any rain in the forecast. I decided to check only in areas that I know have received no supplemental water - only rainfall. (Rain...what is rain?)

Passiflora Incarnata - Passion Vine
The following native plants look surprisingly beautiful in spite of temperatures in the upper 90's and no rain:
  • Passiflora - Passion vine or Maypop
  • Lonicera fragrantissima - Winter Honeysuckle
  • Redbud
  • Arizona Cypress
  • Agave
  • Blueberries (established plants that were planted a few years ago)
Oakleaf Hydrangea at Callaway Gardens
With some plants, wilting or not depends on the site--those in shade look great but the ones receiving some direct Georgia sun are wilted pitifully:
  • Callicarpa americana - American Beautyberry
  • Hydrangea quercifolia - Oakleaf Hydrangea
  • American Holly
In recent years, mainly due to the drought that has lingered here in Georgia, I have been planting in my garden more species native to the Southwest. Arizona Cypress and Agave are two plants that are not native to our area but grow beautifully here with absolutely no supplemental water. 

Arizona Cypress looks this good this in every season!
If you're in an area where watering restrictions keep you from planting in your garden, consider looking for some of the plants I've mentioned. They will not disappoint you!

No comments:

June Blooms in my Georgia Garden: Oakleaf Hydrangea

This time of year our garden is always bursting with blooms, but this year has been a little different. Due to a very mild winter, everythin...